Go Back   Sinkhole Forums > Sinkhole Org User Forums > Insurance Questions

Old 05-19-2007

Default confirmed sinkhole..more slanting

Engineers report has come back, it has been 1 month since someone has come out for a bid on cosmetics...in the meantime, baseboard in 2 rooms along same wall are coming away from wall...in one of those rooms, the baseboard on another wall(where it meets outer wall) is now sloping inward! Floors are slanting much more...I have emailed the engineering co...no response...the outside wall is bulging, which it was when the engineers came out. When the cosmetic guy came out, he said that really wasn't a concern! It is to me since when I purchased home, it wasn't like that! Any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2007
User

I have written twice tonight - I am so BURNED OUT! We also have seperation between floor boards and walls - we have also been told "dont worry" - I would love for our insurance company not to worry about the added stress of increased electricity bills, etc. We are in Dunedin, Florida, and I'll tell you - a YEAR after making our claim, admitting sinkhole damage, increased property and insurance costs - oh - and lets not forget attorney fees for - well - Im unsure as to exactly what has been done on our behalf - anyone want a GREAT deal on a pool home?! I WANT OUT.
Old 05-19-2007

Default I Can relate to your situation

Hi Jesica,

Your claim date is the same as mine. My sinkhole was confirmed in August of 2006 also. What is your current situation with the repair and the insurance company? Pools are covered under Dwelling "A" if it is attached to deck and lanai. I am getting ready to move out for a year so that they can grout and underpin my house and then fix all the cosmetic damage. But I think insuranbce company is going to stop short and cash me out, unless they want to pay 400k + for full repair.
Old 05-21-2007
User

Hi - well - to cash me out it will be less than yours; approximately 310k. The home has had 5 different engineering reports - excluding the one the attorney so graciously included....can you just hear the sarcasm dripping from my words?! I have received 4 quotes, all apprixoamtely 168 to 185k in underpinning and grouting. I opted not to sign on the dotted line, as the insurance company would not guarantee the cosmetic work, nor even give me a substansive bid. They are questioning the pool, and I have read the fine print, and concur with you, that this is simple and straight forward.
Fast forward to attorneys, paperwork, "correspondance, etc. and I am nowhere near moving out at this point (Im jealous of you, lol) I DID have the property appraiser come out (very nice gentleman, btw) and he was going to readdress my ridiculous assessment - I ran into him at Publix yesterday, and HE approached ME to say he had some numbers to share with my mortgage company this week - as my "fixed rate" went up well over 600 a month - Ive been in FL for many most of my life - but - really - I just want out. Please keep me updated - it was nice to hear from someone in similar circumstances - do you have an attorney too?
Old 05-28-2007

Default Hang In There Jessica

Hi Jessica,

No, I chose not to hire an attorney. At their 33%-40% fee of final settlement I would be worse off. What suprised me about your case is that your insurance company has not issued a formal Loss estimate. I am not sure who your insurer is, but their claims representative should have done an estimate immediatly after sinkhole was confirmed by the geotech report. Depending on your policy provisions, you should have received at least a cash value of the asessed Loss, which is usualy replacement cost of the cosmetic repairs minus depreciation of the loss affected items. Do you have a loss estimate/payment from the insurer?

Sincerely

G
Old 05-29-2007
User

THANK YOU!!! I did not receive anything from the insurance company or the attorney; I read your response and inquired immediately. I was given a quote that was approximately 80k for cosmetics.....what is interesting to me is the fact that ANY number could be held up to scrutiny, as the claim and assesssment was made almost a year ago. I wish an attorney had not been necessary, however, with the strong arming technique the insurance co. was using, I felt I had no choice. Live and learn, I guess. I received notification that I would be going to mediation; no date was given. Im hoping it is soon, as we will no doubt agree to disagree! Keep me updated, please!