Go Back   Sinkhole Forums > Sinkhole Org User Forums > Insurance Questions

Old 05-20-2006

Default Insurance question

I am writing to get your opinion. My next door neighbor is currently in the process of sinkhole remediation. They are underpinning his property. I have noticed several cracks on the exterior of my property. The cracks are rather large in size and mainly run on the mortar lines of the blocks. I do have cracks that run directly parallel down the exterior wall. There are also several cracks in the foundation of the property. Personally I think my cracking is far worse than my neighbors. I have filed an insurance claim with my insurance company and they sent out there engineer this morning. My neighbor furnished me with his engineering report to let this guy see it. I showed it to him and he replied to me that he would not have deemed my neighbors house to have a sinkhole. He mentioned that the organic material soil contents were rather high and that was the cause for the cracking on his property. The organic contents he was talking about were only at a 1-2 ft depth. He then said that it if he finds the same soil contents, I am probably dealing with the same issue (meaning the insurance company would not need to remedy it and I would totally be responsible for repairs). I mentioned this to my neighbor and he then pointed to the borings test and a weight drop tests that he had in the report. The report shows a drop from 30ft to 37ft, showing some sort of void at this point. I am planning on getting records of the radar tests and soil borings from my property and have a different engineering firm write a report based on their interpretation of the tests and compare it with the engineer who the insurance company has hired. I want to make sure I am not taken advantage of here.

What else could you recommend me do?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-23-2006
Administrator

Jeff, the best thing to do for now is just to wait for the results of the engineer's report. No matters what it says, things can be worked out. Give us a call when you get the engineer's report and we will come out to take a look.

Michael Mosher
Champion Foundation Repair
Phone: 813-242-6454
Fax: 813-242-6614