Go Back   Sinkhole Forums > Sinkhole Org User Forums > General Sinkhole Questions

Old 11-26-2007

Question Purchased Home with Sinkhole

This may sound strange..but, I really had no intetion of purchasing this house.
I move in a little over 6 months ago and I recently went to open the bathroom window. As I leaned on it with my hand over the tub my hand went trough the wall. I did not receive the papers on the information on the sink hole. Could this be from the sinkhole problem? There was water damage to the drywall along with the plastic had black "mold" (I think) on it. I did take pictures and there are cracks in the wall (cinder block). I tiled the concrete in the yard but there was (at least looked like a cylinder) in the concrete below the bathroom window. This is why I am asking if the sink hole may have contributed to the wall being weak and the tile/grout moved to have shower water going behind the wall. The sink hole was in 2004/2005 from what I undestand. Please advise. Any suggestions would help.
Old 11-27-2007
Administrator

This is more likely from the shower pipes leaking since the property was built and destroying the wallboard behind the tile slowly year after year. While this looks like it might be structural damage within from the sinkhole activity it's cause might be a little more common.

On a side note, why is it that you did not revieve the sinkhole information before you bought the property?

Michael Mosher
Champion Foundation Repair
Phone: 813-242-6454
Fax: 813-242-6614
Old 11-28-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
This is more likely from the shower pipes leaking since the property was built and destroying the wallboard behind the tile slowly year after year. While this looks like it might be structural damage within from the sinkhole activity it's cause might be a little more common.

On a side note, why is it that you did not revieve the sinkhole information before you bought the property?
I was living out of state at the time and my son looked at the house.
. The agent sen me the info on this house twice and I turned it down. When I came to check out houses the one time my district manager let me come she didnot show it to me. Then, I could not come back down and I had to move from my home within 14 days my house up north. Isold in 15 days on the market. She brought my son to look at the house and I was at work when he calledme about it but, I was in a hurry at work and could not talk.
After my son made an offer, the information of the sinkhole was given to us then aware of the problem. The agent I had sent me a fax with papers to sign and asked if she should send the engineer report. I said not via fax, but I woud like it. I only got a disclossure. Now she is only giving me copies of the disclosure and not the engineer report. The wall board by the pipes were fine when we tore down the walls after my hand went through the one under the window. The house has a large over hang and the inspector came back and said "he could not see where any water from rain would hit the window.
Now i asked her last night for a copy of engineer report and all she sent me again waas the disclosure. What am I to do? She is no help to me at all.
Old 12-02-2007
Administrator

Just give us a call and we will try to obtain the engineer's report for you if you cannot get anywhere with the realtor. I would suggest that if you cannot get the engineer's report from the realtor, that you ask to speak with the broker of the office since you cannot make any progress with the realtor themselves.

Michael Mosher
Champion Foundation Repair
Phone: 813-242-6454
Fax: 813-242-6614
Old 12-03-2007

I found the report but, I spoke with a lawyer today. He said that I would have to get another report and that will cost alot of money(which I am very short on due to the bathroom project). He said he needs $1,000. as a retained plus anything else that would come along. I cannot afford this. I feel so lost. He did say that he feels I have a good case and if I want him to do anything to contact him.I took pictures of the concrete block, the report states a problem by the enclosed patio which is just to the north of the bathroom. So, help, where do I go from here? Any suggestions?? Thanks, Linda